++ Upcoming ++
- 9/13 New Humans and Alvin Aronson collaboration in Mika Tajima: Total Body Conditioning installation at Art In General, New York.
Total Body Conditioning | Mika Tajima | New Humans | Alvin Aronson | Event from Mika Tajima on Vimeo.
- 2/15 Looking Back: The Eighth White Columns Annual - Selected by Pati Hertling, White Columns, New York
- 12/18: New Humans + C. Spencer Yeh, Bureau, New York
- 6/27: PAN_ACT, ISSUE Project Room, New York
- 5/10-5/13: Frieze Sounds, Charles Atlas and New Humans, New York
++ Recent Performances
- 8/3: Stockholm Music & Arts Festival, Stockholm, Sweden
- 5/30: Wierd, New York
- 6/23: IMO, Copenhagen
++ Recent Project
- 4/1-4/10: Charles Atlas, Mika Tajima and New Humans: The Pedestrians, South London Gallery, London
Featuring collaborations with John Smith, Gaby Agis, Slow and Steady Wins the Race, and Les Child.
++ Recent Performances
- 3/9/: Performance for Às Artes, Cidadãos exhibition at Serralves Foundation, Porto, Portugal.
- 8/14: Performance for wait for me at the bottom of the pool organized by Bob Nickas. w/Orphan
- 7/22: Performance for Double Features organized by C. Spencer Yeh, 177 Livingston St., 7:30.
- 6/29: Performance in San Francisco at Yerba Buena Center for the Arts for Renee Green: Endless Dreams and Time-Based Streams exhibition event with Florian Hecker. 4-8pm.
- 6/26: Performance in New York at Sculpture Center. Time TBA.
++ New Releases
- Super Loco, New Humans 7", released by Circuit.
- Disallow, Vito Acconci/New Humans LP, released on PLANAM.
++ Recent Exhibition
- Mika Tajima / New Humans in Studio: Interference at the Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden. 1/28-2/21.
- 10/24: DISPATCH and PlanB (Tokyo) presents Riuichi Daijo, C. Spencer Yeh (Burning Star Core), and Mika Tajima (New Humans), 59 Canal Street, 2nd Floor, 7pm. Full information here.
++ Videos now on UBU
- Click to watch Holding Your Breath (Taking the Long Way) (2008) and Dead by Third Act (2009)
++ NEW HUMANS: TODAY IS NOT A DRESS REHEARSAL
Mika Tajima/New Humans in collaboration with Charles Atlas and Judith Butler
5/10-5/12, SFMOMA, San Francisco
- click here for images from project
++ Recent Performance
- 4/9: New Humans with James Plotkin (Khanate, OLD, Scorn, Jodis, Khlyst) in conjunction with Mika Tajima's exhibition, The Extras. 548 West 22nd Street, NY.
++ Recent Performances / Projects
- 12/4: Performance in Miami at The Station. 3250 NE 1st Avenue. 9:30pm.
- 11/14: Triple Canopy New York event at Starr Space with Orphan and DJ Bob Nickas and Mark Ibold. Poster by Wayne Gonzales.
- 11/6: Artissima in Turin, Italy. Performance in La Rampa space at the Lingotto.
++ Artissima images and video
- Description of Fiat destruction here.
- Short video of performance here.
++ Recent Press/Writing
- Walker Art Center blog article on Mika Tajima's recent Kitchen exhibition "The Double" here.
- iMomus blog article on Mika Tajima's recent Berlin exhibition "The Double" here.
- Whitney Biennial catalog Mika Tajima/New Humans entry here.
++ Santa Fe, New Mexico in May
Performance in conjunction with new Olivier Mosset exhibition and gallery opening at Zane Bennett on May 24, 5-7pm. 435 South Guadalupe.
++ New Interview
New interview on Chile-based music site Loop here.
++ Recent Recording Reviews
- The Wire #291 here.
- Loop web zine here.
Catch new video work in Mika Tajima's 2008 Whitney Biennial installation featuring New Humans recording session with Vito Acconci and Spencer Yeh. Up until June 6th.
February 2008: New Humans, "aka / New Humans/Vito Acconci/C. Spencer Yeh", released on February 25 on Semishigure (SEMI 011).
Click here for more info
New Humans Les Urbaines performance in Lausanne, Switzerland at Circuit, December 7th, 9pm. As part of opening exhibition featuring Mika Tajima and José León Cerrillo curated by DISPATCH.
- 9/21: Marfa, Texas at Ballroom. "A Roll of the Dice Will Never Abolish Chance" curated by Bob Nickas.
- 8/17: Steinkjer, Norway. Music festival - opening for Motörhead.
- 5/25: Galería OMR in Mexico City to accompany exhibition by José León Cerrillo -- futuro anterior.
Currently mixing sessions and live performances from Vito Acconci / C. Spencer Yeh / New Humans recordings from the "Disassociate" project.
++ Recent Print/Other
- Frieze magazine review
- USELESS magazine issue #5 interview with Mika Tajima
- Print Out magazine compilation
- Undercover release at Circuit
Opening Reception: February 17th
Performance - Vito Acconci with New Humans: February 24th
Performance - C. Spencer Yeh with New Humans: March 10th
**new humans lineup: Howie Chen, Mika Tajima, and Eric Tsai
++ January: Record Release
New color vinyl 12" "Undercover" will be available in collaboration with artist Philippe Decrauzat through Switzerland's Circuit. Featuring NH soundtrack for Decrauzat's "A change of speed, a change of style. A change of scene; Part II" 16mm film, jacket design collaboration by Decrauzat and Tajima, and special poster insert.
"Undercover" jacket designed by Philippe Decrauzat in collaboration with Mika Tajima
++ December: Live Radio Appearance on WNYU
Tune in to WNYU (stream) or 89.1 FM in nyc on Tuesday, December 19, 8-9pm. We're scheduled to be on the Outside show for a live guest appearance and maybe some new tracks.
__*** UPDATE: Listen to the archived radio show on WNYU as mp3 stream [here]. Thanks Heather!
++ Grass Grows Forever video at P.S.1
Check out Mika Tajima's Grass Grows Forever in Every Possible Direction Video at P.S.1 starting Oct 29th as part of the Music is a Better Noise exhibition.
++ Upcoming releases
Working on a string of recordings and artist collaborations including a bunch of 7"'s and compilations.
++ Portland, Oregon September Show
We will be going out to do a night for the PICA TBA festival September 17 with some new pieces and records in hand. Here extra info and ticket stuff: TBA Festival.
__*** UPDATE: Here are some blogged pics from the show: NH in Portland
++ Record Release Event with Philippe Decrauzat @ Swiss Institute, July 13th
Drop by to celebrate the release of our new record Disassociate. We'll be doing a special set (with giant subwoofer) and installation within artist Philippe Decrauzat's current fresh installation Plate 28. 8 pm.
++ Pic from EFA Show
Good times. Awesome sets that night by First Nation and airport war and video/sound by Jay Sanders. Man it rained that day.
(thanks Charwei for the photo)
++ May/June Performances
- 5/27 6pm. New Museum bookstore in NY. Magazine party for Lovely Daze. w. Airport War.
- 6/02 7pm, EFA Gallery in NY. w. First Nation, Airport War, Jay Sanders and special guests.
- 6/24 3pm, Bard College, performance for "Uncertain States of America" exhibition.
++ Saturday, April 29th @ Whitney Museum 6-9pm
We will be playing as part of an evening of talks and performances in celebration of Rirkrit Tiravanija's and Mark di Suvero's Peace Tower at the Whitney Biennial. The program will coincide with the March for Peace, Justice, and Democracy, a city-wide day of events and lectures.
++ Upcoming Performances
Planning on a NYC show late June. In Portland September for PICA Time Based Arts Festival and hopefully a few dates in Europe in the Fall.
++ Finished recording!
We just finished recording at Junkyard Audio Salvage last week. Three tracks and a surprise one for the upcoming album. Now onto mixing. Very excited to release it -- its going to melt speakers and made especially for ear addicts. Shooting for May/June release.
Also working on 2 more record releases this year. In the works.
++ New Humans at RISD this November
We're heading up to Providence for a show at RISD on Wednesday, November 16th. Mika is also giving a "Video in Person" talk on her work at the RISD Museum before. Drop on by or tell your peeps that we are in town.
New Humans at the RISD Tap Room, Wednesday, November 16th. 9pm. 226 Benefit St - between College St and Waterman.
++ Back from Mexico City!
We're still recovering from our trip and Taller Publico opening bash performance and project. They have an awesome space there. Please see us for the stories including run-ins with crusty mexican punks and the drummer sleeping with 8 iMacs. Here are some pics in the meantime:
++ CD review
in Wire magazine. Check it out! (click here)